Star Alliance North America Airpass – Terms and Conditions
1 Flight Applicability
- 1.1 The Star Alliance North America Airpass is designed for Economy class trips through North America via the services of Air Canada (AC) and United (UA).
- 1.2 Within North America, the ticket is valid in the following countries: mainland US, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean (including the countries of Antigua, Netherlands Antilles, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, St. Christopher – Nevis (Leeward Islands), Cayman Islands, St. Lucia, Turks and Caicos Islands, Trinidad and Tobago). Travel between the US/Canada and Hawaii is available at extra cost. Travel to and from Cuba is not permitted.
- 1.3 The Airpass is available to residents of countries other than Canada, the US, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Bermuda or any Caribbean country when purchased in connection with any Star Alliance intercontinental ticket or Round the World Fares, issued outside of North America for travel to, from and via North America.
- 1.4 The Airpass can be bought in combination with Star Alliance redemption programme tickets. All flights of the Star Alliance North America Airpass will accrue miles to the passengers nominated Star Alliance Frequent Flyer Programme, depending on the rules of your chosen Frequent Flyer Programme.
2 Fare Calculation
- 2.1 The total airfare is determined by the mileage per coupon plus applicable fees, taxes and surcharges.
- 2.2 There are no discounts for children older than 2 years of age. Infants under 2 years not occupying a seat are permitted at no charge. Only one infant not occupying a seat is allowed per adult passenger. If an infant turns 2 years during the journey, the adult fare will be applied for the entire journey and a separate seat will be provided. Unaccompanied children or infants are not accepted.
3 Planning the route
- 3.1 There is no minimum stay required for your trip. It may last up to 3 months from the beginning of your travel on the first Airpass coupon to completion of travel on the last Airpass coupon.
- 3.2 Two stopovers are required. A stopover is a stay of more than 24 hours in the same city. Any city may be transited additional times for the purpose of making transfer connections requiring less than 24 hours.
- 3.3 Surface sectors in-between are allowed at your own expense. If such break in itinerary exceeds 24 hours it is considered as one stopover.
- 3.4 The Star Alliance North America Airpass consists of 3 to 10 flight coupons.
4 The Ticket and Advance Reservations
- 4.1 The Star Alliance North America Airpass may be issued worldwide. You can purchase your Star Alliance North America Airpass at your local travel agent or at any Star Alliance member airline reservation center. You may alternatively use the online Star Alliance North America Airpass Calculator to plan your desired trip.
- 4.2 Reservations for the first domestic flight of the North America Airpass must be made before you arrive in the mainland US, Hawaii, Canada or Mexico. Reservations for flights other than the first flight on the Airpass must be made at least 24 hours before the departure of each flight.
- 4.3 At the time of ticket purchase you must present a proof of permanent residence and your intercontinental ticket.
- 4.4 The Star Alliance North America Airpass has to be issued separately from your intercontinental ticket.
- 4.5 One Star Alliance North America Airpass can be purchased per international, Round the World, Circle Trip or Single Open Jaw ticket to, from and via Canada, Mexico or the US. Proof of residency must be presented upon request.
5 Change of plans
- 5.1 Voluntary rebooking and/or rerouting are permitted via United (UA) and Air Canada (AC) services only.
- 5.2 Whenever the ticket is reissued, revalidated or cancelled, a fee of USD 100 will be charged. Exception: No service charge will be assessed in the event of death/illness of the passenger or immediate family (spouse, children, parents, brothers and sisters).
- 5.3 As long as the routing is not changed, reservations may be changed up to two hours before departure.
6 Cancellations & Refunds
- 6.1 Before departure: If a ticket is totally unused, it will be refunded with the deduction of a cancellation charge of USD 100 per person. This rule is applicable for adults, children and infants.
- 6.2 After departure: If any ticket of the Airpass has been used, no refund will be made.
- 7.1 There is no free baggage allowance offered.
- 7.2 Please refer to the operating carrier for future information on applicable baggage charges.
8 Other Terms & Conditions
- 8.1 Further conditions apply. Please contact your Star Alliance member airline or travel agent for details.
- 8.2 The carriage of passengers and baggage is subject to the conditions of carriage of the carriers concerned, copies of which may be requested from each Star Alliance member airline.
- 8.3 Please note that your itinerary may be planned using the Star Alliance North America Airpass Planner tool.
Effective of and last updated on 31 March, 2014
back to top
Disclaimer: Star Alliance Services GmbH and the Star Alliance member carriers reserve the right to change the Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules displayed on this website at any time without prior notice. Please note that the Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules listed above represent only a fraction of the entire Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules displayed in the GDS (Global Distribution Systems) used by airline reservations offices and travel agents. In case of discrepancy at the time of ticket purchase between the Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules displayed above and in the GDS, the latter shall prevail. Please refer to the respective GDS for full display of the Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules. Status as of March 2014