China Airpass Terms and Conditions
1 Flight Applicability
- 1.1 The Star Alliance China Airpass is designed for Economy class travel using the services of Air China (CA) and Shenzhen Airlines (ZH) connections within the Mainland of China, in conjunction with international travel to and via the Mainland of China, starting and ending outside the Mainland of China. The Mainland of China is defined as China including Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR but excluding Taiwan. Air China has the right to exclude single flights from the Star Alliance China Airpass. Furthermore, they can limit the number of passengers travelling with a Star Alliance China Airpass on any given flight.
- 1.2 The Star Alliance China Airpass can only be bought in conjunction with an international/intercontinental ticket to/via the Mainland of China/Hong Kong SAR/Macao SAR/Taiwan on any Star Alliance member airline service in First, Business or Economy class. You can purchase only one Star Alliance China Airpass per international/intercontinental journey.
- 1.3 This Airpass is only available to residents of countries outside the Mainland of China, Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan.
- 1.4 The Airpass can be bought in combination with international Star Alliance redemption programme tickets to and from the Mainland of China, starting outside the Mainland of China. The Airpass may be combined with Star Alliance Round the World or Circle Fares. All flights of the Star Alliance China Airpass will accrue miles to the passengers nominated Star Alliance Frequent Flyer Programme, depending on the rules of your chosen Frequent Flyer Programme.
2 Fare Calculation
- 2.1 The total airfare is determined by the number of coupons plus applicable fees, taxes and surcharges. The fares will be converted into the local currency when the ticket is issued.
- 2.2 Children between the ages of 2-11 years pay 75% and infants under 2 years not occupying a seat pay 10% of the applicable adult fare. If an infant turns 2 years during the journey, the child fare will be applied for the entire journey and a separate seat will be provided. Proof of age is required at time of ticketing.
3 Planning the route
- 3.1 The Star Alliance China Airpass consists of 3 to 10 flight coupons.
- 3.2 There is no minimum stay required for your trip. It may last up to 3 months from the beginning of your travel on the first Airpass coupon to completion of travel on the last Airpass coupon.
- 3.3 Two stopovers are permitted at any point served by Air China within the Mainland of China. A stopover is a stay of more than 24 hours. Any point may be transited additional times for the purpose of making transfer connections requiring less than 24 hours.
- 3.4 Changing flights at a transfer/connecting point requires an additional coupon.
- 3.5 Individual sectors may not be travelled more than once in each direction.
- 3.6 Surface sectors in-between are allowed at your own expense. If such break in itinerary exceeds 24 hours it is considered as one stopover.
4 The Ticket and Advance Reservations
- 4.1 You can purchase your Star Alliance China Airpass at your local travel agent or at any Star Alliance member airline reservation centre. The Airpass can be issued worldwide, outside of China.
- 4.2 Reservations for the first flight of the Airpass must be made prior to arrival in China. Reservations for other than the first flight of the Airpass must be made at least 24 hours prior to departure of each flight.
- 4.3 The Airpass has to be issued separately from your international ticket.
- 4.4 At the time of ticket purchase you must present proof of permanent residence and your international ticket.
- 4.5 At the time of check-in when the Airpass is presented for travel, you must present your proof of residency, as well as your international ticket, otherwise boarding will be denied. Air China assumes no liability for expenses incurred to the passenger under these conditions.
5 Change of plans
- 5.1 Rebooking or rerouting is permitted on Air China service only. You may rebook or reroute your trip providing that there are no changes in your point of origin, stopovers, destinations or booking classes. Then the Airpass ticket will be reissued free of charge up to two hours before departure. If the new itinerary results in changes in your point of origin, stopovers, destinations or booking classes, the Airpass has to be reissued at least one day prior to your departure. In this case a reissue charge of 600 CNY will be made.
- 5.2 You may buy additional coupons for your Star Alliance China Airpass within the two months validity of the Airpass.
- 5.3 Once your trip has started, downgrading to a lower number of coupons is not possible.
6 Cancellations & Refunds
- 6.1 Voluntary refunds: If a ticket is totally unused, it will be refunded with the deduction of a cancellation charge of 600 CNY. If any portion of the Airpass ticket has been used, no refund will be made.
- 6.2 Involuntary refunds: When a passage is cancelled by Air China due to flight cancellation, inability to provide previously confirmed space, delay or omission of a scheduled stop, Air China will, at passenger request and upon surrender of the entire Airpass ticket or of its unused flight coupons, make the following refund:
- Airpass totally unused: full refund
- Airpass partially unused: The refund will be made in an amount equal to the value of the remaining Airpass ticket coupons. The value of each of the remaining Airpass ticket coupons being refunded will be determined by dividing the total purchase price of the Airpass ticket by the total number of Airpass ticket coupons purchased on the same ticket.
- 7.1 The Baggage Allowance shall be the same as for the international/intercontinental ticket that this Airpass is connected to. If this is a multi-airline ticket, the most restrictive policy shall apply. For excess baggage charges, please contact Air China.
8 Other Terms & Conditions
- 8.1 Further conditions apply. Please contact your Star Alliance member airline or travel agent for details.
- 8.2 The carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo is subject to the conditions of carriage of the carriers concerned, copies of which may be requested from each Star Alliance member airline.
- 8.3 Please create the itinerary of your trip by using the Star Alliance China Airpass Planner tool.
Effective of and last updated on 11 July, 2014
back to top
Disclaimer: Star Alliance Services GmbH and the Star Alliance member carriers reserve the right to change the Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules displayed on this website at any time without prior notice. Please note that the Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules listed above represent only a fraction of the entire Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules displayed in the GDS (Global Distribution Systems) used by airline reservations offices and travel agents.In case of discrepancy at the time of ticket purchase between the Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules displayed above and in the GDS, the latter shall prevail. Please refer to the respective GDS for full display of the Star Alliance Fare & Discount Product rules.Status as of July 2014